School History

A brief history of Trinity Lutheran School

According to the Trinity Lutheran Book of Memoirs written for the occasion of Trinity’s 75th anniversary by Pastor E. Goedeking, the members of St. Paul and St. John congregations of Marysville met on August 14, 1878, to merge and form Trinity Lutheran Church.

Pastor Goedeking wrote:

“The young congregation used the Main Street Church (formerly Carney’s) as its Christian Day School which was first taught by Pastor Zagel. What consecrated people the members of Trinity must have been! How they recognized the importance of giving children specifically Christian training! For within the space of three years they built a new Christian Day School Building which is now the present church chapel and which was dedicated in 1881.”

“The credit for the founding of Trinity Christian Day School is primarily due to the Rev. G. F. Zagel, the first pastor, and in reality is but a continuation of the school maintained by his former St. Paul’s congregation.”

“The first called teacher for Trinity School was J. F. Bergener who served for 18 years. There came a time when he had as many as 120 children in school. For a time, the little white house across the street from the church chapel was pressed into service for school purposes. The great need for a more adequate building prompted Trinity congregation to erect a school on Walnut Street in 1904 with dedication on January 14, 1905.”

“But time marches on and takes its toll. The building erected in 1904 seemed no longer adequate to serve the needs of a growing parish and was in need of too much renovation. It was decided to erect a modern educational building to serve the ever expanding need of the Sunday School, youth and other organizations, and to provide more adequate and modern facilities for the Christian Day School.”

“Thus it was that on Sunday, March 24, 1968, ground was broken for the new building. A unique feature of the groundbreaking was the actual breaking of the ground by means of a plow pulled by teams of school children, Sunday School pupils, and youth of the congregation. After what seemed an eternity of waiting, pupils and teachers were able to move into the new classrooms after the Christmas/New Year holidays on January 5, 1970 The cornerstone laying service took place on Sunday, May 17, 1970. The new building was dedicated to the Glory of God on May 28, 1972. Words could never express the thanks and appreciation we all owe to those who seemingly never cease to tire of giving time, treasure, and talent to make this dream come true. The many hundreds of hours of volunteer labor on the part of members of Trinity kept the cost of this fine structure (about $400,000) within financial reach of Trinity congregation.”

The 1998-99 school year marked another milestone with the completion of a $2.6 million building project. This new structure connected the church and educational buildings and was completed in December of 1998. This tremendous addition has allowed ministry to grow through congregational programming as well as school programming.

May God bless our ministry together as we work in the new millennium. Praise be to Him who has led our steps thus far!